A Lay Speaker is a Certified Lay Servant who has heard a call to pulpit supply throughout the district.
To become a Lay Speaker:
1. Be a professing member active in your local church/charge.
2. Discuss with your pastor how you are being called into lay speaking ministry.
3. Complete the Basic Lay Servant Training Course.
4. Complete the six required advanced courses for pulpit supply, offered through the NWP District, another West Ohio Conference district, or online at beadsiciple.com. They are:
- Lay Servants Lead in Worship
- Go Preach
- Leading in Prayer
- United Methodist Polity
- United Methodist Beliefs
- Spiritual Gifts
5. Complete the Lay Servant Annual Report form and the One on One form each year for charge conference.
6. Receive annual recommendation from your pastor and the church council/charge conference.
7. Interview with the District Lay Servant Ministries Team for recommendation to the conference committee on Lay Servant Ministries.
8. Receive approval from the conference committee on Lay Servant Ministries
9. Complete a refresher course every three years.
10.Interview with the District Lay Servant Ministries Team for renewal every three years.
A handful of Lay Speakers hear a call to take the next step, which is Certified Lay Ministry,or CLM. For more information, click here.